Gujarat Government Announced 10% Reservation for Patidar after a long battle between Government of Guajrat and Patidar. The Gujarat BJP government has announced 10 % quota for economically backward class among the upper castes, who are ineligible for quota under the existing system.
“Gujarat government has decided to accord 10% reservation for economically backward in general category,” Chief Minister Anandiben Patel tweeted making the announcement, adding, “existing 49% reservation for SC, ST and OBC will remain untouched. Gujarat government is committed to ensuring equal opportunities for all.”
- The 10 % quota benefits will be given to those whose annual income is Rs six lakh or less.
- “The ordinance will be promulgated immediately in order to introduce the new system in the next admission season starting soon,” state BJP president Vijay Rupani said.
- The decision was taken after meeting of Anandiben Patel, BJP president Amit Shah and Gujarat party president Vijay Rupani.
- Agitating since last July, the Patidar community has been demanding quota under Economically Backward Class (EBC) based on the economic criteria because the Patidars are traditionally a land owning community so it’s not recognized as OBC (Other backward class).
- Ten people died when the agitation turned violent in August last year.
- “We welcome this announcement, as SPG was always in favour of EBC quota rather than getting included in the OBC list,” SPG spokesperson Purvin Patel said.
- “However, we will assess this scheme before coming to any conclusion. We will clear our stand after going through it, as we need to check how it will help Patel community and up to what extent,”